14 Aug Healthcare IT Job Spotlight: HL7 Interface Analyst
As the healthcare IT job market continues to expand, people with these skills are in high demand. Providers are moving fast to complete their compliance with new standards, but need lots of help transitioning from old legacy systems to contemporary interfaces. That’s why right now is a particularly great time to be an HL7 Interface Analyst.
Typical Responsibilities of an HL7 Interface Analyst
- Work with Application Analysts and Interface Engineers to translate interface requirements into technical HL7 specifications
- Manage multiple projects and multiple resources
- Communicate with people at all levels to provide updates, progress and resolve problems
- Train support analysts and hospital personnel in interface applications, HL7 messages and network topology
- Create and maintain technical documentation
- Develop good relationships with hospital administrators and team members
- Manage projects to completion, following through with communicated plans
- Deploy “live” integrated systems and be prepared to troubleshoot and optimize any technical issues that may become evident
- Provide post-implementation support
How to Get Hired as an HL7 Interface Analyst
The basic qualifications you’ll need for this role start with a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science. A few companies might accept an Associate’s degree, but not many. You’ll certainly need to possess significant technical skills. And, knowing how to facilitate a smooth transition also requires you to exercise your interpersonal skills as well, as the many clients may have different concerns and challenges with the new system. Specifically, you’ll need:
- Associate’s degree or higher, preferably a Bachelor of Computer Science
- Minimum of 1-2 years experience working with HL7 standard and connectivity
- Some experience with at least one interface engine tool
- Knowledge of complex analysis and troubleshooting of data
- Knowledge of SQL programming language
- Ability to work independently
How Much Do HL7 Analysts Earn?
Similar to other computer analysts, HL7 Analysts are well compensated and enjoy great employment opportunities. Based on salary and employment data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, salaries range from $48,360 to $119,070 depending on experience and geographic location. The median salary for HL7 Interface Analysts in 2010 was $77,740.
Are you looking for a new position as an HL7 Interface Analyst? Be sure to check out our job postings to discover which companies are hiring right now.