01 Jan Healthcare IT Skills In Demand in 2014
The job market in Healthcare IT is heating up. Between the implementation of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and the 10th revision of the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD-10) coding system rolling out this year, healthcare organizations will be in need of employees with sharp healthcare IT skills.
There are many different specific programming languages and software systems that hiring managers are seeking in potential employees. The most-desirable, top HIT skills can be grouped into 5 categories:
- Knowledge of electronic health record (EHR) software that maintains digital patient medical data and permits data integration, addition, and tracking. Some of the top programs are:
- – Epic
- – Cerner
- – Meditech
- Knowledge of structured query language (SQL), which consists of 2 languages within a relational database management system (RDMS): data definition and data manipulation. This is a very important HIT skill because it is used by server administrators in the maintenance and auditing of SQL-formatted database systems. Developers can update and delete data, insert query, and create and change data access.
- Programming languages used in the creation of electronic medical records (EMRs) and hospital information systems (HIS):
- – C
- – C++
- – C#
- Web programming languages:
- – Java: for the creation of embedded devices, remote monitoring apps, and other types of sensors
- – HTML, HTML5: used to mark up the content of web pages to modify how it is displayed
- – XML: similar to HTML but used for formatting and displaying data, not content
- Web-based applications:
- – PHP: a language for creating secure EHR management applications
- – ASP.NET: a framework for creating dynamic websites and applications, system-as-a-service (SaaS) apps, electronic payment, and healthcare data management systems
If you have some or any of these skills, you are a hot commodity in today’s healthcare information technology field. The ability to confidently utilize cutting edge software and programming languages puts you in the best possible position when seeking new employment.
Are you ready to find that perfect job? Or, are you looking for a highly skilled addition to your team? We can help. 1st Solution provides HIT staffing, contract placement, staff augmentation, and direct hire recruitment on a contingent basis, as well as retained direct hire for executive level positions. Contact us today for more information.